Negative space tattoo designs are pretty new and are becoming increasingly popular. The technology itself has been used in photography, fine arts and advertising for many decades. The optical illusion of the Rubin vase, the WWF and Oscars logo are among the best-known examples of how effectively negative space asserts itself and impresses itself on our memories. Tattoo artists only use black ink to accentuate blank areas on the skin. The style craves originality and an escape from the mainstream styles and the results are absolutely stunning every time. When used creatively, positive and negative spaces can tell a story together, through visual compositions alone. We show you 85 negative space tattoo motifs as well as some pros and cons to get such a tattoo.
Rubin vase interpreted as a bitten apple skull
Cranes as if drawn by quick strokes of ink
A pointy tattoo with a point
Albino crow on a black background from flowers
Hyperrealism will always remain a popular and formidable art movement
Advantages of negative space tattoo designs
- These tattoos are creative, minimalist, daring and fantastically original. They never go out of style and are very rarely regretted.
- Because of the unique skin tone of each person, negative space tattoo designs are very individual. You can turn small imperfections like scars or birthmarks into beautiful effects instead of hiding them.
- You can transform your body into a real optical illusion with such a tattoo. Our brain is preprogrammed to see shapes where there are none and to fill in an incomplete picture. So you can only point to one motif and leave many areas on your skin empty.
- Many styles can be used when designing a negative space tattoo, most notably dotwork, blackwork, sketch and Tribal.
Despite the absence of any outline, this panda bear is clearly recognizable
Chopped up origami crane in dotwork style
These sheets look like X-rayed
- Only black ink is used for negative space tattoo motifs. Therefore, they are more durable, so they blur and fade more slowly than colored tattoos and do not have to be re-engraved until many years later.
- Negative space tattoo designs contain a lot of voids and only use black ink, which adds to their charm. Therefore, they are significantly cheaper than colored or detailed designs.
- It’s a style that works well for both men and women due to its abstract nature.
- You can also effectively combine this tattoo style with your partner or best friend. One receives the positive space version of a chosen motif, such as B. a heart, puzzle piece or yin and yang, and the other the negative space equivalent.
This is how you can show your limitless love for one another
This tattoo would look very nice on a couple’s arms as well
- Negative space tattoo motifs are probably the best cover-up tattoos and can easily cover up bad tattoos. Simply blacken it and use the blank spaces as an effect.
- They can be as big or small as you want and don’t have to conform to your natural body lines and shapes.
Your negative space tattoo designs can be very small
A semicolon tattoo supports people suffering from depression
Your tattoo can also be very large and very detailed
Disadvantages of tattooing negative space tattoo motifs on your skin
- They use up a lot of ink and can hardly be removed at all if you regret it. Laser therapies are expensive and leave unsightly pale patterns and scars.
- All tattoos that are on visible places such as wrists, hands or neck are difficult to hide. With their intense black color, negative space tattoo motifs immediately catch the eye. Unfortunately, this can still lead to violent arguments in a conservative workplace or in the family.
- Our tip: Shoulders, chest, back, or legs are safe places and are less likely to come out. Thus, you also protect your tattoo from harmful UV rays.
Such a large tattoo can hardly be hidden even under long sleeves
Only your hair or scarf can hide a neck tattoo
An unusual interpretation of “Mona Lisa” on the shoulder
The ribs are also a safe place for this kitten
Three layer dotwork tattoo on the thigh
- So much black ink attracts a lot of sun and warmth. Other tattoos also need special protective creams on a regular basis to be cared for, Negative space tattoos in particular.
- Negative space tattoo designs are more painful and slower to heal than other designs. That’s because the same area has to be stabbed multiple times to achieve a solid black color. However, this should not be a determining factor. Tattooing may hurt for a few hours for the artist, but the design stays forever.
- These tattoos allow only a few corrections and large motifs can usually only be covered with a complete blackout tattoo.
So you can cover up old unsightly tattoos super easily
Immerse yourself in the ocean. Which monsters still inhabit these incredible depths?
Conclusion: Negative space tattoo motifs look fantastic for many people with their unique charisma. For others, however, they seem far too unusual and daring. In the end, it is entirely up to you to make the right choice for you.
Wolves are much more like us than you might think. A pack symbolizes the importance of unity and the strong bond of the family
A lone wolf, on the other hand, stands for strength of will and freedom. It is an excellent catalyst for personal growth
The famous woodcut painting “Air and Water” by Escher as a tattoo
A film noir style tattoo with typical shadows from blinds
An interesting tattoo design for sci-fi fans
And here a mammoth is kidnapped by aliens
A huge storm is raging on this man’s leg
This snail continues its house on the second forearm
If origamis could fly, so would they Bird houses to need
Zodiac tattoo designs are never regretted because they never change for a lifetime
The eerie black roses are symbols of hope in the face of death
The lilies are broken by five empty lines
Negative space tattoo motifs can also be displayed in a totally cute way with a kawaii raccoon
Representing rebirth, belief and sensitivity through moths and butterflies
Freeing the moth symbolizes overcoming boundaries and obstacles in life
The stag – the proud king and keeper of the forest
Ghibli Studio fans will instantly recognize these forest spirits from the movie “Princess Mononoke”
Helm of Awe is an Old Norse rune and was believed to make the wearer invincible
The bear is a symbol of strength and independence
A bear with cubs also represents motherhood and meekness
The tree of life is an ancient tattoo motif
All cats are symbols of authoritarian leadership, protection and bravery
Geometric and modern
Acanthus leaves from the classic Rococo art are also recognized in tattoo art
The anchor tattoo is very popular again