With the arrival of autumn, the Halloween atmosphere can already be felt in the air. Big and small, young and old – they all dress up for the horror festival, stroll through the neighboring houses and ask the same question: “Trick or treat?”. The Halloween tradition comes from America and is widespread these days. When the night turns black on October 31st, the festival reaches its climax. On the streets you can see hundreds of little devils, witches and princesses, wizards, vampires, zombies romping around. The spooky festival is another occasion for fun time together with friends and family at a legendary Halloween party, where the best and most eye-catching costume wins an award. If your four-legged friend is with you every step of the way, then he also needs an original Halloween costume. According to the latest trends, the unicorn motif is the theme of this year’s Halloween. Do not lose another minute and learn how to design a unicorn costume for your four-legged friend yourself.
DIY unicorn costume for a small dog
Cutting and sewing templates
The necessary materials:
- 1 m of fabric in white
- ½ m iridescent fabric
- Pipe cleaners in different colors
- Thread in different colors and a needle or sewing machine
- Tape measure
- Cotton wool or cotton
- Velcro fastener
Step 1: Make the template for the unicorn costume and then sew it.
First, measure the dog’s head and body length (from neck to tail). Take a sheet of paper and draw the same shapes as shown in the photo. It would be easier for you if you fold the sheet in half, so that when you cut it will result in identical pages. Before you cut the fabric according to the template, check that the template fits the dog.
For the hood:
- Draw a semicircular shape on the white fabric according to the dimensions of the template.
- You will need 2 semicircular pieces that you sew together to make the hood.
For the torso:
- Outline template # 2 on the white fabric.
- Cut the shape twice.
- Sew the torso and hood together.
- You should have two pieces so that the unicorn costume has two sides.
Step 2: set accents
In order to give the white cloak a unicorn-like look, you need the following elements:
- and clasp
- Measure the length from the hood to the center of the cape.
- Cut two rectangles out of the iridescent fabric according to the measured length and width of 5 cm.
- Sew the two rectangles together.
- Use scissors to make fringes along the length.
- Sew the mane and cape together.
- Cut a triangle out of the iridescent fabric and sew the long sides together.
- Fill the horn with the cotton wool.
- Sew on the open end.
- Wrap thicker thread around the horn like a spiral.
- Sew the horn to the cloak.
- Cut 4 semicircular pieces from the white fabric and sew on with two people to create the ears.
- Cut 2 smaller semicircular pieces from the iridescent fabric and glue them on the ears.
- Sew them to the hood.
- Make a small opening for the tail.
- Combine different colored pipe cleaners in the bundle and stick them inside.
- Sew the opening and the bundle together.
- Cut 8 rectangles out of the iridescent fabric.
- Sew them together in pairs.
- Glue the Velcro strips onto the rectangles.
- Sew them to the costume.
Now dress up your four-legged friend as a unicorn!
DIY jumpsuit animals for Halloween
“Step by step” instructions for a unicorn costume for dogs
Step 9: clasp
A colorful and funny costume for animals
Make unicorn costume for animals yourself
Unicorn children’s costume for four-legged friends
Make the necessary materials for a unicorn costume yourself
Instructions for an animal costume for Halloween
Conclusion: The unicorn motif is very popular these days. Together with pineapple, watermelon, flamingo, swan and tropical patterns, it was a sign of the past summer. Whether for costumes for women or jumpsuits for children, the unicorn motif is suitable for the horror festival. It is also present in the fashion world as a trendy motif for jumpsuit pajamas for men, women and children. Let your imagination run wild and create unicorn costumes for the whole family, including four-legged friends – cat, dog, etc..
In our gallery you will find other unusual ideas for funny and original costumes for the pets, so that they can accompany you on the Halloween party. Collect great inspiration and share your Halloween looks on our Facebook page. We hope you enjoy making Halloween costumes yourself!